Thursday, October 1, 2020

Fall Writing Frenzy Contest

          

Fall Writing Frenzy Contest




The Red Spark

by Jakki Licare

             My little sister holds the bright, red leaf up to her eye. “One more time. Please.

“I shouldn’t have done it before,” I say, pulling her down the path.

 Her lip quivers, making my resolve disintegrate.  I really shouldn’t. If I’m found out they’d take me away, but it’s nice to share my magic with someone who isn’t afraid.

 I check around and the path is clear. “Last time.”

Her wide smile is so warm, it wraps me up like a woolen scarf. I concentrate on the leaf’s flame-red color and it begins to sizzle. Its tips curl as the smoke mixes in with our steamy breath. Until pop, a spark flies into the air, then another and another. Crackling sounds silence the chattering squirrels and the glowing flecks hover like stars come down to earth. 

I send the red sparks to dance around my sister and her giggles fill the crisp air. She chases the sparks as if they were fireflies. Flinging them into the sky, we ooh and awe as they explode like fireworks. All the red sparks fade away, except one. In the distance, the red glow of a cigarette smolders as someone watches us.




Thank you Kaitlyn Leann Sanchez and Lydia Lukidi for setting this up. It was a fun challenge!

25 comments:

  1. Love these characters, Jakki! And the suspenseful foreshadowing at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! The idea of the stranger at the end adds lots of suspense and wondering about what happens next. Great story Jakki!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A delightful story! love how her smile wraps you up like a wool I scarf! Such cozy imagery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my favorite line too! Thank you for the kind words.

      Delete
  4. Love this. It definitely leaves me wanting to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very engaging story! I want to know what happens next...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment and read!

      Delete
  6. You've got me! Now I want to know what happens next!
    Colleen Dougherty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, lots of mystery, contrasted with the beautiful fall weather and sisterly love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really appreciate you taking the time to read and comment.

      Delete
  8. Your word choices placed me perfectly into the scene, and... I must know what happens next. I'm curious about the older sister's powers and wonder what else she can make happen. And who is watching the girls and why??? Good luck in the Fall Writing Frenzy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I'll be honest I have no idea what will happen next, I was deinitely a pantser with this story:)

      Delete
  9. There is such powerful magic in this story. You draw us in with the narrator's secret, forbidden abilities, creating delicious tension and beautifully foreshadowing the end. But we ignore all that as you slyly distract us with fiery magic and a persistent little sister. ("Her wide smile is so warm, it wraps me up like a woolen scarf"—such a lovely representation of a sister's love.) You ingeniously circle the story in the end, ratcheting up the suspense as you show how even a smoldering spark may pose an ominous threat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Thank you so much. Your kind words me so much to me!

      Delete
  10. Oh, the suspense! So many emotions beautifully rendered in so few words. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The ending! Wow. Love the foreshadowing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, well done! I enjoyed the wonderful images and the anticipation of wondering what will go wrong. Thanks for sharing with us for the Fall Writing Frenzy! Sincerely,
    Kaitlyn Sanchez

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. That gives a whole new perspective to the picture. I can't look at it now and not see the girl pleading with her older sister. Great job.

    ReplyDelete

Fall Writing Frenzy 2023

  4. Image by  Ri Butov  from  Pixabay The Beekeeper’s Secret By Jakki Licare A bee zoomed over the thatched roof and rapped against the win...